Saturday, December 14, 2013

My All Natural Solution To Dirty Laundry

Have you looked at the prices of laundry detergents lately? They are quite expensive. I can't even afford detergent anymore. In addition, commercial detergents are full of yucky chemicals that are bad for the environment and bad for our health. Our skin absorbs 60% of what we put on it. Our clothes will contain some residue of our favorite smelling mountain fresh or lavender Tide or Snuggly wuggly teddy bear softener. I have a simple, easy, and cheaper solution to this listed below.

All you need:

  • Vinegar
  • Distilled Water
  • Baking Soda


That's it! Seriously it's that cheap and easy. I get my baking soda from Mountain Rose Herbs. I get 5 lbs for 13 US dollars and I buy vinegar by the bulk from a natural food store for super cheap. A few dollars perhaps depending where you get it. Distilled water is about a dollar.

Image from Mountain Rose Herbs

I mix about 1 cup of vinegar to 2 cups of water (or a 1:2 ratio). I like to make it last as I like to pour a lot. Don't know why I do that... -_-  You can be the judge on how much vinegar to water ratio you want.

So before I start my laundry I put in a small scoop or two of baking soda. You can just eyeball it depending on your laundry amount. If you need more cleaning power I've read that you can put washing soda or borax into it. Mountain Rose Herbs sells borax as well for a great price. 1 lb runs for 3.50 US dollars or 5 lb for 14. What a deal! I then put the premixed vinegar water into the prewash or softener portion and that's it!

If you want a liquid detergent you can always mix castile soap with baking soda or borax which makes a great laundry detergent for clothes. If you want to stretch your buck, I might suggest adding water to it. I will do another post about this one.

I will do posts about baking soda as I put that in every cleaning agent I have in my house including dish detergent, bathroom cleaner, kitchen cleaning... BAKING SODA IS AMAZING! I can't wait to tell you guys more.

No comments:

Post a Comment