Friday, December 6, 2013

Trouble Getting ZZZ's? Here Are Some Natural Tips to Promote Sleep

Okay guys so I decided to do a blog on sleep as I see more and more people not getting enough sleep.  There are at least 2 people in my class who don't get sleep and are not doing so well and I'm thinking in my head that I have to share my own tips! Because I've been there! Sleep is so important and essential to performing at your fullest potential. The funny thing is that's how my blog got started was me researching ways to fall asleep without resorting to pills.

I want to tell you that you are NOT alone. This problem that affects a lot of people.

I will include some tips that has helped me get to sleep better and feel more energized in the mornings.

This did not happen overnight for me. It will vary from person to person. I can only tell you what happened to me personally. It took me a good year to figure out how to get enough sleep consistently.

Okay, I want to start off by telling you guys that in the past I hardly ever went to sleep early. I would be up until 3 to 7 in the morning. YIKES! Then I would wake up late and the whole process would start over. This drove me "insane in the membrane" because I hated wasting my days sleeping and then blowing my night trying to be quiet. I really felt unproductive!

I tried melatonin for a week but I don't think I used it properly. My doctor at the time recommended it for me. I was skeptical at first and then gave up. I tossed this one out.

Next, I tried herbal teas that would help my anxiety and sleep. I bought chamomile tea, sleeping teas with valerian root, and stress relief teas with kava. These are amazing but it takes time. I would say this is a supplement to what helped me sleep.

I started exercising 2 to 3 times a week. This relieves my stress and anxiety. A lot of the lack of sleep has to do with the worry and stress. I feel like that we need to address that first.

Overall, I tried to find ways to relieve my stress and worries at night. I used to lay there thinking of random events over and over again. After I found the source of my problem then I evaluated what I needed to do in order to fix the problem.

1. Less water, alcoholic and caffeinated drinks at night
2. Drink relaxing or sleep teas or even milk that contains tryptophan which promotes sleep
3. Exercise which relieves stress and promotes sleep. Make sure not to do it within at least 2 hours before going to sleep as this will promote in keeping you awake.
4. Eat a healthier diet full of raw fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
5. Be on a more consistent sleep schedule.

Like I said earlier this won't happen overnight but rather this will take time. Trust me, I've been there and it was a long hard road but once it happens you won't regret it. I get more restful sleep and feel less anxious. I used to hate mornings but now I do. I love getting up at 4 or 5 in the mornings which is super crazy! I feel much more productive and I get more things done.

Hope this helped some of you out there. If you have some of your own natural tips or ways of getting to sleep not listed here please share with us below. We would love hearing from you!

Just as a reminder none of these tips replaces an advice from a health professional. If you have a true problem with sleeping consult with your doctor first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment