Thursday, April 25, 2013

My Favorite Toothpaste

In this blog I'm going to talk about my favorite toothpaste Toms of Maine which I absolutely adore. If you check out their website they have all kinds. They have eight major categories of concern: fluoride free, whitening, fresh breath, anti-cavity, sensitive, children's, SLS-free, and lastly multi-benefit. Each category consists of 2 to 11 toothpastes with a few overlapping such as the children's fluoride free. It's a lot, I know! I was overwhelmed when I was going through them. LOL.




I picked this one by accident because it said whitening on it. I didn't even know it was fluoride-free since it wasn't one of my concerns when shopping for one. Most toothpaste contain fluoride and Toms of Maine sell most their toothpaste with fluoride too. It's a natural mineral that helps fight cavities  Apparently there are people who don't want fluoride in their toothpaste! I didn't know about that. I started reading on the internet that some doctors and dentists (even a journal of the ADA? click here for the link to a doctor on youtube telling you in more detail about it) are saying too much fluoride can be bad for your teeth. In small amounts is good for fighting cavity but I guess we're exposed to too much of it in our water systems and toothpaste. It can cause browning and tooth decay? Oh my! So Toms of Maine has a few toothpaste that contain no fluoride for those who don't want it. I thought that was considerate and nice of them!  All products are cruelty-free, the toothpaste container is BPA free (A BIG PLUS), and it's eco-friendly.



This is what it says on the back of the toothpaste:



These are huge concerns for me so that makes me happy to buy this product. It's not too expensive! I got mine at Wal-mart for like 3 US dollars and some cents in the states. Hopefully you'll be able to find it that cheap elsewhere. Or their website I believe it ranges from 4.99 to 5.99 US dollars and they have samples for 0.99 US cents. It still very cheap compared to other toothpaste brands offering the same benefits. 

For those of you who don't know about SLS is also known as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate which is in a lot of toothpaste out there on the market. It is also in other beauty products as well. If you want to see a detailed article by Dr. Mercola click here for the link. Very interesting stuff! Supposedly, SLS can really damage the inside of your mouth and people have been getting canker sores. It gives that fizz in your mouth as you brush your teeth. It's a surfactant and "helps clean your teeth better." You might want to look into to that if it's a concern and as a matter of fact Toms of Maine sells SLS-free toothpaste. Hmmm, I wonder if they sell fluoride-free and SLS-free? Haha, is that too much?

What's your favorite toothpaste? If you have any other suggestions, comment below. I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment