Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My Current Diet

I try to keep my grocery shopping as simple as possible because it can get overwhelming at times. One tip is to purchase small amounts at the store. Most of the stuff I buy are organic fruits and veggies. I don't try to buy too much outside of that as your cart can get full of items you don't need. I eat fruits and cereal for my sweet tooth. I eat and drink soy products for protein(other than beans).

GREENS
I have now incorporated Kale into my diet. I get the organic mixed greens with spinach, kale, and other  greens. I need to come up with a green juice for me to drink and I'll make sure to share it with you guys when I'm done. =)
Greens are also great because they tend to be alkaline. Alkaline means a pH higher than 7. Our bodies are slightly more alkaline but because our diets tend to be more acidic our bodies have to work harder to balance it out. This will make us more fatigued and tired. Alkaline foods are better for your digestive tract as it is much more gentle and sensitive. Fermented veggies like pickles or kimchi(Korean) are alkaline and good for you. There are lists on the internet that tell you what foods are alkaline that you can easily look up.

MORE FRUITS & VEGGIES
Organic celery, eggplant, red pepper, spinach, onions, garlic, kale, bananas, mango, berries... for now

NO ADD'L SALT & SUGARS
Little to no salt. I don't put any additional salts into my diet. At first it's weird but you get used to it after a while and then your taste buds change and dislike too much salt. One of the reasons I hate going out to eat is that they put salt on EVERYTHING!
No refined sugars. The only sugars I support are the ones from fruits and honey. I approve of Agave which is like the vegan alternative to honey. I've seen non-vegans like it. I've tried Stevia but I didn't like it too much. Stevia is a great substitute though and it's super alkaline which is good for your body since we tend to eat more acidic foods.

SEASONING
My one and only favorite is cracked pepper. That's really about it. =)

TOFU & BEANS
Vegans and vegetarians have to eat more soy product and beans for our protein source. Black beans are my fav! I love tofu because of it's versatility. You can make almost any recipe out of tofu.

SNACKS
I like to snack on bananas, celery, and granola cereal when I get a little hungry throughout the day. Sometimes I like hummus with pita chips. I know this is not entirely that good for me but this is my once in a while guilty pleasure. I love hummus!



WATER
I only drink water, tea, and coffee. I don't drink any sodas. Very few juices as I rather make the fruit juices and smoothies at home. I drink water as much as I can. Penta water is my favorite brand of water. See my blog   {  Better H2O   }


DAIRY
Soy, almond, rice


ORGANIC
Try to get everything organic. They are usually better quality than the ones that are not.

NON-GMO
No genetically modified foods. They're everywhere but the ones that are not have a non-GMO label on it.

NO MEAT
I am a vegetarian so I don't eat any animal meat. I do eat eggs and seafood though.

EAT OUT LESS
A lot of the food ingredients restaurants use are processed, high in sugars and salts, carbs, fat, which is completely unhealthy. I try not to go out too often. What I suggest is to maybe cook in your home more for your friends and family. It's more fun this way and maybe you can get your friends to help you with the cooking. It's a fun activity and everybody can enjoy a healthy meal. Dinner parties and backyard grills are definitely a superior alternative than going out to a restaurant.

NO MEDICATIONS
I don't take any medications. I drink herbal teas, and use the gifts of mother earth such as plants, and essential oils for healing.

NO ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, COLORINGS, FRAGRANCES
No food coloring whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment