Tuesday, May 21, 2013

DIY All Natural Lipbalm


Why use chapstick or lip balms that contain parabens and nasty chemicals bad for your body? You can make your very own natural lip balm at home with your friends and family. It's super fun! I'm so excited about this post because I've always wanted to make my own lipbalm. It's cheap and it's completely natural and I know what I'm putting in it. Best of all, it's super easy and doesn't take up too much of your time. I hope you like this post as I've viewed different tutorials and found that it contains ingredients that I don't want. Some of them add lipstick for color. I want it to keep completely natural and free of chemicals. So avoid adding lipstick unless it's organic natural lipstick, haha! For this post I will make a peppermint flavor one and of course you can add your favorite esssential oil (lemon, vanilla, orange, pomengranate, etc....) I will do more posts in the future for natural coloring and different flavors. :)

Yields: Varies. Approx. 5 to 7 lipbalms (for 1/2 ounce containers)

INGREDIENTS:
Organic Beeswax [1/2 ounce]
You can buy these at your natural grocery store or online for really cheap. I got an one ounce bar for 0.99 cents at a Natural Grocer. Mountainroseherbs.com sells the same for 1.75 US dollars. On amazon.com sells 5 - one ounce bars for 7.24 US dollars. >Click here for the exact item page< They also sell beeswax shreds which might be easier for this recipe since it will melt faster.

Organic Coconut Oil {or other oils like almond oil} [2 ounces]
I got mine at a natural grocery store as well. This should be easy to find.

Organic Shea butter - Mountain Rose Herbs [1/2 teaspoon]

Organic Essential Oil - Mountain Rose Herbs organic peppermint oil [6 to 10 drops]

{{{{Optional - almond oil, cocoa butter, vitamin E oil}}} *this will yield more lip balms*
I wanted to keep this recipe simple as some of these ingredients would be hard to find. I highly recommend the vitamin E oil as this is an antioxidant, has healing properties, and increase cellular regeneration. I'm working on a DIY kit so that way you guys can purchase these all at once without the hassle of buying these individually. I'm really excited. I'll keep you guys posted!

MATERIALS:

Stove Pot
There will be boiling involved so make sure to enforce safe practices. :)

Cutting board & Knife

Mixing spoon

Glass jar

 Lip balm containers - You can purchase these on Ebay, Etsy, or Amazon. I prefer to use glass cosmetic jars just because I try to avoid using plastic. I got the 1/2 ounce glass containers from sunburstbottle.com. The great thing is you can recycle and reuse these containers to make more lipbalms or put other materials like lotions and creams. :)


Gather your materials!

(Optional - Sanitize your containers by boiling the containers for about 10 minutes)



Cut your beeswax in half. If you bought a bigger bar then measure out 1/2 ounce.



Put that bar into your glass container.


Put about 1/2 teaspoon of shea butter into the jar.


Put 4 scoopfuls of coconut oil into the jar.


Put about 6 to 10 drops of peppermint oil. Depends on what you prefer. I put 6 because I like it light.


*Optional step* Add a few teaspoons of almond oil, 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa butter, several drops of vitamin E oil. Adjust accordingly. Play around with to see what you like best. Remember this will yield more lip balms.


Boil until everything melts. Approximate time 10 to 15 minutes


Handle carefully with mitts and pour contents into jars.


Tada! Now you wait for it to cool and harden.


I put mine in the fridge to harden faster. Tada! Your very own natural lipbalm. How cute!


I only produced about four this day but I tweeked this recipe to contain more coconut oil in this post since I want it to be a bit softer so it might yield five to 6 when you guys do it. Adjust accordingly to fit your wants.

Coming soon **** honey lipbalm and pomengranate lipbalm~!

No comments:

Post a Comment