Wednesday, May 1, 2013

DIY All Natural Shaving Cream

Hey lovelies,

So in this blog I want to talk to you about making your own shaving cream. Now, this all started for me because of a few reasons:

1. I didn't want to spend too much money
2. I wanted something truly natural
3. Store brands contain yucky chemicals
4. DIY shaving cream blogs and videos were too complicated, required too many items, and or used products that had chemicals in it.
5. The natural shaving cream is expensive and some claimed to be all natural when they're not.

So I wanted to share with all of you how to make your very own shaving cream that is easy to make, all natural, and fairly inexpensive.

What you'll need:
1. Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Castile Soap - is made with organic oils. It is certified fair trade and 100% vegetarian.
Ingredients are as follows: Water, Saponified Organic Coconut* & Organic Olive* Oils (w/ Retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba OIl, Citric Acid, Vitamin E.

I got mine at Natural Grocers store or you can purchase this on Amazon.com for great prices. I'll also include the link to the official website, click here.

I absolutely love the Dr. Bronner's company. Click here to see the owners and see what it really means to be fair trade! I recommend everyone to watch this video.

2. Oil - this will be the moisturizing agent - any oil works really. my favorite are jojoba, sweet almond, and coconut oil.
3. Vitamin E oil  - natural antioxidant
4. Empty foaming soap container (Bed, Bath & Beyond has a stainless steel one. Ooh! I used an empty dial foaming container. You can find bottles on Sunburstbottle.com)
5. Distilled water

Optional *extra essential oils for smell like lavender, ginger, chamomile, etc...

Make sure you get good quality, non-gmo, organic, and fair-trade oil or something really close to that if you can. You can get just about any type of oil like olive, almond, coconut, or grapeseed. My preferred method for this one is sweet almond oil just because it's really thin and light and it's not greasy at all. You can find this easily at a Whole Foods and Sprouts. Mine was about 9 dollars. I know it's pricey but it's so versatile and I use it for many other things. Check out my other blogs, this item will appear everywhere.

1/3 part Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap
1/3 part oil (I do mixtures of jojoba, coconut, and sweet almond)
1/3 part water
Few drops of vitamin E oil
(Different oils may yield a different consistency so make sure to play around with the proportions to fit your needs.)

Mix this all together in a mixing bowl and stir completely. Pour it into your empty foaming soap container. Voila!


Keep in mind that a little bit goes a long way. Make sure you soak your legs or area of shave with water. Apply one to two pumps of your newly made shaving cream all over and shave away! You'll notice a smoother shave. I think this works better than the normal shaving cream. (I may be biased though ;D) Rinse with water.

Side note: make sure to do your research when looking into DIY shaving cream recipes. I found some that had suave or borax in the the recipe and I thought borax would be too harsh for sensitive skin and the suave contains unnatural chemicals! Not to diss on them of course because I think it's a lovely idea but I know for sure that brand has parabens so watch out~!

Let me know what you guys think and please share your comments below. Thanks for reading~


Click here for my other blog post for my oatmeal bodywash that can also be used as an all natural shaving cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment